Thursday, April 30, 2015

Travelogue - Bryan

Depending on how the map decides to load I can view different locations and not others, I though mine did not save and when re-adding I guess I duplicated... I searched for social work organizations involved in community and public health that had a person-centered philosophy.  These types of organizations, I was surprised to find, exist all over the world! Similar to a comment made by another classmate, I enjoyed exploring for organizations that offered a wide range of services at a one stop location.  This type of model is developing in the US, a place where a family can go to have a child see the dentist while a parent gets a check-up from their physician.

One place that deviated from this was found in my search for social work organizations in Nepal.  Following the devastating earthquake, I thought it would be appropriate to provide a link to agencies in the country who offer social work services and supports.  What I found was a non-profit that exists to support social work volunteers, people who want to visit Nepal and bring their own expertise to the communities surrounding Kathmandu.  I was interested to see similar organizations around the world that existed as means of bringing volunteers to the country, is this an effective model for serving communities or a response to international desires to volunteer, learn skills, and develop cultural connections?

As others have noted, the amount of pins around the world can seem overwhelming and heartening.  The topic of collaboration is what comes to mind for me, and whether or not so many disparate organizations are even aware of the work being done by one another.  During my experience in field, I was able to witness efforts to limit duplication of work and to incorporate hard work being done elsewhere rather than to spend money and allocate resources to "reinvent the wheel."  If this map existed in a more user-friendly format and one was able to sort by topic area and missions, isolated agencies would be able to reach out and learn from one another on an international scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment