Wednesday, April 29, 2015

           One thing that struck me after looking over the map was the sheer scope of programs and organizations. From targeted populations to types of programs to organization sponsors/funding sources, there is such a wide range of areas that are covered on the map. Not to mention… I can’t imagine all the others that exist that we did not cover!
            Another point that stood out to me was how broad the goals and about us sections were on these websites, and I’m not stating that as a negative. Specifically regarding my experience researching organizations for the map, I read the general info and thought to myself, “yeah, sure, improving the lives of those in need sounds great, but making that happen will take a lot more than good intentions!” It was at this point that reading about specific programs or initiatives really grounded me. I needed these specific examples to see the tangible aspects and be reminded that the desire to help is not a lost cause. This made me think of a time in practice – I can’t for the life of me remember what we were doing – but Kelly had us each write on sticky notes and she asked us to be specific, to give a concrete example of how we would do or show “this” (whatever we were talking about!) I, and many of my classmates, gave broad goals… not a specific example. Anyways, it was nice to see plans that are already in motion and working hard, with determined and hardworking people pushing forward with them every day!

            One organization that peaked my interest is the Tsao Foundation in Singapore. In one stop, individuals can access medical, social and psycho-emotional care. This makes so much sense to me, to not separate all of these areas like it seems like we do here. Increase accessibility and enable individuals to be involved in directing their own care… having all professionals on the same page (even in the same facility!) will help a lot with person centered and directed planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment