Since the other section had already done this activity, I opened
up the map and was immediately overwhelmed with what was already posted. I
started looking through the various countries that people had tagged on the
map, and immediately my excitement and passion for travel and international
work started bubbling up, reminding me again why I chose this field of work. As
Jenny had mentioned in her previous comment, there are social workers literally
working to save the world, and this map is a very strong visual representation
of that fact.
Being so overwhelmed with a busy-looking map, and my excitement, I tried to figure out a way that would calm my down and best reflect all of my interests. I decided to look at Montreal (it being my home and hope to return), Burlington (because I like it here and would consider staying), and Uganda (because I really want to travel more of the African continent and know a few people who have been there).
Dans La Rue in Montreal is incredibly popular, building over the past 30 years from the small van to the camper and two buildings. Growing up in Montreal, it was always a place that I wanted to volunteer and/or work at, so this activity gave me a little more reason to look into them. Hands Vt. is an organization in Burlington run by a former social worker, that I happened to find online through researching places to donate to during the holidays. I really appreciate the work they are trying to do and will hopefully be volunteering with them this summer. Shanti Uganda is based in a village in Uganda, helping to serve and improve infants and mothers health. I really like their mission and values, and would love to see their work, ideas and strength spread.
I greatly enjoyed looking through the map at what classmates have found and what their interests are. This activity made me realize that social work is needed everywhere. I have always logically known this, but I realized that I too, like Aya mentioned, have had ‘blinders’ on. I have been lucky enough to travel a fair amount in my life, but most of the time I have not noticed any need for social services. Luke posted about AKIM in Israel, and by my having family there, I have visited quite a few times. I can honestly say that I never noticed a need, or a lack of need, for social services of any type. I always just visited family and had my ‘blinders’ on, not really paying attention to my surroundings. This realization makes me want to go back to everywhere I’ve been and really see, to truly experience life everywhere.
I don’t know where I will end up after finishing this program (one more year!!!), but this map has helped me realize that no matter where I go, I will always find something, someone to support or work for.
Hey Stephanie, I really appreciated your candid comments about personal experience traveling abroad and not noticing any evidence of needs for social services. It seems many people to not see the gaps in our socioeconomic system and the needs of many ~ you are not alone. The key is, once we can no longer avoid seeing the truth; once it is staring us in the face; what do we do with it? I think that is what truly defines who we are.
ReplyDeleteI am interested to hear about your volunteer project this summer!