Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Travelogue - Aya

This exercise has been so mentally stimulating and what a great way to end the semester! It is such a pleasant reminder that transformative social work is not just something we "learn" at the MSW Program in Vermont, it is in action across the globe! One thing I love to do is to apply the things we learn in the classroom setting to real life experiences and examples. Sometimes it is easy for me to interpret and apply my education to the very specific and narrow scope of social work practice in which I work. This exercise was a wonderful way to remind myself that social work wears many faces, speaks many languages, and helps diverse populations. The one thread that I see as a commonality throughout these practices and organizations is a mission of empowerment, giving voice to the voiceless, and advocacy.

I am struck by how different locations on the globe reflect social work practices that are specific to local culture. For example, Deportes Para La Vida uses soccer as an intervention strategy to educate farmers on the importance of HIV/AIDS. World Comics Finland uses comic strips as a method of reaching out to target populations for educational purposes. Hospice Sondergard approaches hospice care through a family oriented lens. These are just a few examples of ways in which I was moved by the readings on the class map.

I chose three different countries with which I have personal ties, yet know little about their social work practices. My first choice was to research social services offered in Japan for victims of domestic violence. I chose this because I was raised in this country and witnessed first hand the prevalence of DV and the lack of resources available to women who are victims. Sadly, I was not surprised to find that the shelter I located on the map (HELP - Tokyo) identifies that only 50% of their services are provided to Japanese women . While I am glad to know there is an increasing acknowledgment around DV issues in my home country, it makes me sad to know that there are still so many women who are unable to reach out for support or shelter.

 My second choice was to research services available in Norway (I'm going there next week!). What a stark contrast that was to exploring the services in Japan! My husband talks to me often about the services in Norway that are offered to displaced persons (i.e. refugees). I was impressed to see the wide network that the Norwegian Refugee Council has created across the globe.

Lastly, I ventured my search for social service agencies into South America - Nicaragua. In my household, we talk a lot about moving to Nicaragua some day to live a simple life and escape the chaos that is western civilization. Discovering the serious and unacceptable health conditions of farm workers was a healthy reminder for me that a) social workers are needed all over the globe; and b) there are so many complex layers to all countries and cultures.

 It is so important to be educated on social justice issues across the world and make sure I take my "Vermont blinders" off on a more regular basis. Stepping back and exploring social work practice from a macro level is exciting yet can feel somewhat overwhelming. There are so many issues of social justice in the world, yet such a lack of attention to these injustices in our media, in our children's educations, in our own social constructions of "the world."

Thank you to all class members for a great semester and I am looking forward to seeing you next fall!

1 comment:

  1. Aya, I look forward to hearing about Norway and what you discover firsthand while there. Your comments about DV in Japan and the organization that works to support victims was particularly interesting to me. I really appreciate your personal connection to this topic and the perspective you bring. When I was reading your comments about the percentage of Japanese women that receive services, it occurred to me how critical it is to "live with the people". In order to begin to comprehend the social and cultural implications of issues such as DV, takes really meeting people where they are and not trying to project any foreign assumptions or expectations.

    I enjoyed your comments very much!

    ReplyDelete